Translate

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

grocery shopping and freezing veggies

I LOVE grocery shopping!
Not a lot of people do but I love going to the store and getting leafy greens, eggs, so much healthy stuff. It makes me feel like this is all worth something....... a hundred dollars with of stuff. Lol
I also can't pass up a bargain. Veggies on sale I will end up getting more that I could possibly eat. My husband made a comment when I came in this afternoon ''oh great more veggies for you to throw out next week''. I wish I could slap him sometimes. First I try to make new recipes each week to avoid the boredom. Some are flat out bad but I can say I tried even though I throw most of it out. Second I most of the time cook just for me as no one else in the house is currently eating paleo. I cook to what the recipe intends but most of the time its a recipe for a family. I always eat for that night and lunch for the next days lunch. Unless its a dynamite meal or leftover night I usually won't eat it again.

So I do freeze veggies once I chop them up. Trick is to freeze in batches flat. I use my baking sheets lined with parchment paper. I would suggest a silicone mat but alas I don't have one but if you do go ahead and use it. Chop up those veggies and lay them flat on the sheet. Try to blot off any excess water. And put in your freezer in about a hour(for me an hour is enough your time may very) take them out and put in a freezer safe baggie. It works best with peppers, onion, broccoli, cauliflower, leafy greens, zucchini and squash. Then all you have to do it thaw and heat. Most you don't even have to thaw. It helps on those nights that you just don't have time to chop or just don't want to. Plus it keeps the grocery bill down a bit when some veggies are out of season.

No comments:

Post a Comment